Inmate Mail Policy
New Inmate Mail Policy
The new inmate mail policy goes into effect on February 21, 2022.
Non-Legal Inmate Mail
Effective 2/21/2022, non-legal inmate mail must be sent to the following address:
Franklin County Jail VA.
Inmate Name, Inmate ID number
PO Box 2925
San Antonio, TX 78299-2925
The envelope must have a complete, legible return address including the sender’s first and last name or the mail will NOT be scanned. Please print all information clearly.
Mail Requirements and Restrictions
- Mail arriving with postage due will be refused and returned to sender if possible.
- Mail must be 10 pages or less per envelope.
- Page size must be no larger than 8.5” x 11”.
- Mail can include written or typed pages, photos, drawings or greeting cards. (NO polaroid photos.)
- NO glitter, glue, tape, 3D elements, or electronic components (lights, music, animation).
- NO items containing, depicting, or relating to sexually explicit activity, gang activity, illegal activity, violence, drug, or alcohol use, etc.
- NO photos of nude or partially clothed persons.
- NO illegal substances or any other items considered to be contraband.
- NO magazines, books, or packages mailed to mail processing center.
- NO cash, personal checks, or money orders mailed to the mail processing center.
- NO originals of important documents such as Birth Certificates, Driver’s Licenses, Social Security Cards, Green Cards, etc., as they will not be returned to correctional Institution
- NO original photos or other irreplaceable or valuable items, as they will not be returned.
- DO NOT mail legal/privileged mail to the mail processing center. See instructions below for Legal/Privileged Mail.
Mail meeting these requirements will be scanned within 24 hours of receipt and the physical mail will be destroyed. Scanned mail will be reviewed by facility staff in a timely manner. Approved scanned mail will be saved and can be accessed by the inmate via the inmate tablets.
All scanned mail containing materials considered illegal or breaches of security will be turned over to the proper authorities for investigation. Any threats of criminal activity will not be permitted in any correspondence and may result in criminal charges.
Legal Mail/Privileged Mail
Legal mail must be mailed directly to the facility. Legal mail must be marked on the envelope as “Legal Mail” and will be opened by the inmate in the presence of facility staff. Address legal mail as follows:
Franklin County Jail VA.
70 E Court St, Ste 101
Rocky Mount, VA. 24151
Scanned Mail After Release
After release, an inmate can request digital copies of his or her scanned mail. The request must include the following:
- Inmate’s Full Name
- Facility Name
- Inmate ID Number
- Email Address
Once the information is verified, an email with the postal scans attached will be sent the email address provided.
Mail can only be requested by the released inmate and ONLY after release from the facility.
Inmate Phone Calls and Messaging
The fastest way to communicate with an inmate is by phone or messaging. The inmate communications provider for inmate phone calls and messaging is Pay Tel Communications. To set up an account with Pay Tel, visit Paytel or call 1-800-PAY-TELL.